+44(0) 1234 567 890 info@domainname.com

Friday 30 August 2013

Fleetwood savours maiden win

10:24

Share it Please
Last Updated: August 25, 2013 7:56pm

Tommy Fleetwood savoured his maiden European Tour win after a play-off at Gleneagles Tommy Fleetwood savoured his maiden European Tour win after a play-off at Gleneagles

England's Tommy Fleetwood admitted nerves nearly got the better of him as he claimed his maiden European Tour title on the first hole of a sudden-death play-off in the Johnnie Walker Championship.

On a roller-coaster final day at Gleneagles, the former Walker Cup amateur surpassed home hope Stephen Gallacher and Argentina's Ricardo Gonzalez on the first extra hole by holing from four feet for a winning birdie.

"The other two guys were a little unlucky with their putts and before you know it you have a four footer for the win," said Fleetwood, who carded a closing 70 after sharing the overnight lead with Gonzalez.

"God knows how I made contact. It all seemed to unravel really quickly.

"It's unbelievable. I have been up there a lot and not even had a top-five finish and all of a sudden you come away with a win.

"It just seemed to come a bit easier this week. I was nervous as hell on the first green but after that I was pretty calm. It was so tight, almost claustrophobic on the leaderboard; if you dropped a shot you went down 10 places."

Gallacher, whose participation had been in doubt due to a back injury, was philosophical after birdies on the 14th and 16th and an eagle on 18 had put him right in contention.

"I would have taken a play-off on Monday," he said.

"I was just happy to be playing to be honest. I actually hit the ball really really well. It was only the short irons I was struggling with, I could not really get into my posture.

"On the 18th I knew I needed to hole it (his eagle putt) to have a chance. It was a great putt, just a shame I could not do it again."

Scotland's Ultimate 18

Win a world-class golf break to The Scottish Highlands.

Boston betting guide

Stats and best bets for the second FedEx Cup play-off event - the Deutsche Bank Championship.

Wales betting guide

Stats and best bets for this week's European Tour event - the ISPS Handa Wales Open at Celtic Manor.


View the original article here